Cod Liver Oil Could Be Your New Best Friend
Our health is of prime importance to us. We try to take care of health in many different ways, such as exercises, diets, supplements, etc. One such option is Cod liver oil. Cod liver oil is found in the liver of a codfish. It is can be used in the form of supplements and liquid. But cod liver oil side effects can be harmful, and you should be aware of them to take better precautions.
Let’s get to know more about cod liver oil:
By the 1800s, as a result of rickets, cod liver oil had become a popular supplement around the world. People even use it today for all its benefits. The cod liver oil is formed by grounding it with water in a big container. The water then forms a slurry, this is then simmered so that the oil rises to the top. The oil is then skimmed from the top of the water. The extracted oil is then refined and cleaned to give cod liver oil.. There are more methods to produce cod liver oil, they are:
- The cold flotation process.
- Extraction using pressure.
- Pressure cooking.
- In all these processes, the last step is to purify the oil, before distributing it to the masses.
Benefits of cod liver oil:
According to many organizations, the cod liver oil provides many benefits to keep you healthy. Therefore, cod liver oil gives you the healthier mechanism of many the organs.
- High in vitamins A and D: the cod liver oil is most commonly extracted from the Atlantic cord. This oil has been used for generations to reduce joint pains and cure children of rickets. The oil is rich in Aand D vitamins that makes it very nutritional. Vitamin D plays important role in your body, for instance, maintaining healthy bones in the body, as a result of calcium regulation in the body. Vitamin A is also responsible for healthy eyes, proper brain functions, as well as the improvement of the skin.
- Could reduce heart disease risk: heart disease has become one of the leading causes of death around the world. Studies have shown that people who consume a higher percentage of fish in their meals have a lower risk of any heart disease. This credit can be given to the Omega-3 fatty acid content in the cod liver oil. Omega 3 gives many health benefits such as reducing triglycerides, lowering blood pressure, raising good cholesterol levels, and also preventing plaque formation.
- Diabetes: using cod liver oil during pregnancy has resulted in decreasing the risk of type 1 diabetes to a very low percentage. Cod liver oil can also be given to children below a year old, which also decreases the risk of type 1 diabetes.
- Arthritis: people who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, could use cod liver oil. This reduces the intake or need for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The cod liver oil also helps relieve you of stiffness, pain and swelling for people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
Cod Liver Oil Side Effects:
Cod liver oil could have a number of side effects. It is better to be safe than sorry, therefore, read them thoroughly. So that you do not get the side effects.
The side effects include bad breath, heartburns, nausea, and belching. Overuse of cod liver oil may lead to unhealthy levels of vitamin A and D. High doses of this oil may prevent blood clotting, damage in the immune system.