Know More About Your Liver.
Our body has many complex functions. As a result, help perform these functions in a smooth way, our body secretes many hormones and enzymes in the body. These enzymes help regulate the actions of the systems by increasing or decreasing their respective secretions.
What are enzymes?
Enzymes are protein molecules in cells which work as catalysts, therefore, speeding up all the chemical reactions of the body. Yet do not get involved in the reaction, or changing the resultant product.
Almost all reactions related to molecules and cells in the body require enzymes to accelerate the process. Also, enzymes work on certain substances or fluids in the body to give a more effective product.
Elevated Liver Enzymes:
This means that there is an abnormal increase in the secretions of enzymes in the liver. Therefore, this may indicate that there is an inflammation of cells or damage in the liver. Also, the defective cells leak more amount of enzymes which also go directly in the bloodstream. This results in Elevated Liver Enzymes in the tests.
This diagnosis may be found during a regular blood test. A lot of times the enzymes are only elevated for a short period of time, therefore indicating that this is not a chronic disease. These are confirmed to be Elevated amounts when the secretion leak is continued for a longer time.
The Enzymes That Are Most Commonly Elevated:
Alanine transaminase (ALT) ,Aspartate Transaminase(AST), Alkaline phosphate(ALP) in addition to Gamma-Glutamyl Transpeptidase(GGT).
What causes Elevated Liver Enzymes:
- Cirrhosis: the liver is filled with dead tissues.
- Fatty liver disease: The liver gets filled with fatty tissues.
- Along with Excess intake of Drug and alcohol.
- Hepatitis: inflammation and swelling of the liver.
- And Metabolic dysfunction: Many factors that keep your heart at risk also risk the liver to have elevated secretion of enzymes.
Symptoms Of Elevated Liver Enzymes:
- Jaundice: you can know that you are suffering from jaundice if you have, yellowish skin, white eyes and mucous membranes caused by liver issues.
- Pain and swelling in the abdominal area.
- Highly yellow pigmented urine: All is happening due to excess secretion of bilirubin from the pancreas and the gall bladder of the liver.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Weakness and fatigue.
- Low appetite.
Liver Enzyme Tests Are Aso Required For:
- If you consume a lot of alcohol or drugs.
- Also, if your family has a history of liver disease.
- People suffering from obesity.
- Diabetic patients.
What Happens In The Liver:
Non-alcoholic liver with excess fatty tissues is the very common reason for uncontrolled aminotransferase levels.
Aminotransferase levels are also elevated when the aspartate aminotransferase level is two or three times higher than the alanine aminotransferase level, especially when gamma-glutamyl transferase levels are elevated.
The Treatment For Elevated Liver Enzymes:
The treatments include prevention of drug or alcohol consumptions. Hence, if the overweight is causing the elevation in enzymes, then the doctors suggest diets, exercises, and a healthier lifestyle. And, if the liver enzymes are still elevated, the doctor may also prescribe some medicines and suggest other tests. Or a liver specialist is also recommended.
Therefore, to avoid all such health problems one must keep their weight in check and keep a healthy lifestyle.